koreaspondent

Thursday, June 26, 2008

We need a raise! We'll bust your windows till we get it!

I support a nice raise as much as the next guy, and I think strikes to show that support are fine, but somehow, I don't imagine that the company officials are in a real good mood after you go bust up their HQ windows and doors and camp out there all day. I went to meet our company’s counsel in Korea for lunch, I parked the car in the basement of their office (the Hancook Tire Building) and headed out. We got back from lunch only to find a

nice stack of chairs and lots of broken glass in the entrance to the building. Then the parking lot and entrance to the underground parking lot were blocked by police and rioters. The labor union was up in arms about not allowing some of the sister companies to Hancook Tire unionize, and probably other wage increases and crap. That’s fine with me, but again, causing damage to company proeperty probably isn’t very helpful.
I guess in Korea that is the way it is done however. I just wish they wouldn’t have blocked the parking lot for five hours. My car was stuck. I just had to go visit other places in the neighborhood until 5 p.m. when both sides decide its time to go home. I think it might be really effective to camp out all night, but I guess that would be asking too much fo them. After all, most of this is just for show.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
koreaspondent.blogspot.com/