koreaspondent

Monday, May 12, 2008

Finally, some relief from expensive toys through Toys R Us


So the famed American Toy Store has come to Korea. It’s about time we got a decent, big-box toy store that will cut all the retail margin off of toy prices and sell them to us at decent prices. I have especially been fed up with the ridiculous prices on baby products. We will finally get some relief from $400 car seats and strollers. I thought I would go check it out, so I headed over to Toys R Us (it is in the basement of the 롯데마트 located at 구로역). Incidentally, the store replaced B&Q, which is a British hardware chain like Home Depot. That was the only decent hardware store in Korea, and unfortunately Koreans don’t like to do that kind of stuff on their own, and it failed after just a year or so.

Well, we got to Toys R Us and I went to look at the strollers. Wow, they have really pretty looking strollers. I’m excited to get these at a good price. That’s a nice stroller. Oh wait, check out the price on that Lamborghini. Wow! I guess Toys R Us not only decided to enter the Korean Market, like every other damn foreign brand that comes here, they decided to enter it at the high end. Wow,

I can’t imagine paying $1,600 for a stroller, but I guess those rich Koreans who dote on their kids might be able to. I think I’ll use my $1,600 to buy 16 strollers of equal specs in the U.S. Then I can bring them in to Korea and sell them for $1,600 each and make a 1000% profit margin like Toys R Us. Guess I have to plan on bringing back all my baby stuff from the U.S. still. Damn!
What stuns me even more is that they really are taking the idea of coming in as a premium store to a new high. These babies are selling about $700 more in their store than online. That's pretty gutsy to believe your brand is worth that much. The Toys R Us 사장 korea must be either a total retard or have balls of steel to make that kind of decision.

2 Comments:

  • So...Toys R Us is a high-end brand... Who knew?

    Are we all still on for the 17th?

    By Blogger taemin, at 4:38 PM  

  • I dunno. Our youngest foreign friend seems to believe they are a very expensive store in the U.S. I always thought they were the walmart of toys, but he claims not so.

    By Blogger Subman, at 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
koreaspondent.blogspot.com/