koreaspondent

Saturday, April 19, 2008

S.E.S. Reflections


Well, I admit that I like the girl bands of the late 90s, SES and FINKL. In fact, they are way, way better than the stupid bands out there now, like the Wonder Babies. Just compare the music videos each group made in New York: SES's Love and Wonder Babies: Wishing on a Star. As the one dude writes in the comment section, the SES video is 10 years old, but still looks great. The Wonder Girlies is brand new and looks like crap. At any rate, I really like the breakout song for S.E.S.: I'm Your Girl The interesting thing is that with S.E.S., you really had 바다 who could sing, and then 유진 and 신발 who could hold a tune. 바다 sings circles around them. If you watch the video, the normal voices are 신발 and 유진, and then the really good voice is 바다. I would guess things got touchy amongst the three of them because 바다 probably tended to get all the attention with her voice, while 신발 and 유진 backed her up. If you look at bands like FINKL and BABY Vox, you had one or two members with good voices, but not good as in "I'm really good and these other two girls just kind of back me up" good. Anyway, just thought I'd reminisce about the good-old-days when girlie bands battled fem-wad bands and won. Now all the gay boy bands seem to be the only popular ones because the wonder infants can't do anything but a stupid dance and song that repeats tell me over and over to an annoying tune that won't get out of your head once it's stuck there. Learn from your 언니들. Go for the cute look when you are only 18.

2 Comments:

  • Sure S.E.S and F.I.N.K.L. *look* fine. And I dunno bout 바다 being the popular one. 유진 went and made that movie and all...but the thing I remember about those S.E.S ladies is the way their voices keep going flat when singing the higher notes (that and the way that the rapper on their CD likes to call them "세쓰"). To their own songs, no less. Which is kinda sad. If you can't hit the notes, rewrite the song. I mean it's YOUR SONG! Same is true of 신지 who can't hit the high notes in 코요테's songs, but at least they have a great dance beat.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:22 PM  

  • I dance to I'm your girl! It has a good beat!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
koreaspondent.blogspot.com/