koreaspondent

Saturday, February 10, 2007

I am a Foreigner on a Scooter in Korea

I’m not quite an ex-pat, and as such I don’t quite earn what an ex-pat earns. So I don’t quite have enough money to buy a nice car like a BMW. Thus I ride on a scooter. I know it might be odd for a foreigner to ride around on a scooter, although most other foreigners seem to think its fine. But Koreans always think it’s weird. Thus I wear a full motorcycle racing helmet so nobody can tell. If I have my sunglasses on, not even the people at the gas station can tell I’m not Korean.I admit I do look funny in a suit or a trench-coat on a scooter, but it is convenient and it sure beats being stuck in traffic. I cut 15-20 minutes off my morning commute and make it to work in just 10 minutes. Then there is the economics of it.

I put in 9,000원 of gas every 10 days or so and that allows me to ride it to my hearts content. That includes trips from 여의도 (Yeouido) up to the Camp Kim USO, Costco, etc. for lunch. So I do get around on it. That is much cheaper than even the bus or subway
I was talking with my parents on the phone about it and I realized I not only ride a scooter, I ride a very old, worn down scooter. Last time I was in the shop, the guy said it was at least 10 years old. The turn signals don’t work, the horn doesn’t work, the brake light doesn’t work, the ignition didn’t work before I got the battery replaced (it works fine now), and it looks beat up, as you can tell in these pictures. (I remembered also that the gauges don't work, no speedometer or gas gauge. Thus I keep a little water bottle full of gas in the back, just on the off chance I run out in between fill-ups) In fact, the handlebar and front coves are held on by plastic ties, and the seat has tears in it (it already had several, and I noticed a few weeks ago some new holes appeared where someone knifed or keyed it. I must have pissed one of the bicyclists off because I always shove their bikes out of the way to lock mine up. I don’t think he got that it already had tears in it and two more holes weren’t going to hurt). So what does work, you ask? Two things (well, three with the ignition now): the engine and the lights (only the brake light doesn’t come on, other head and taillights work). I guess I’m a cheapskate at heart, so I will just ride it into the ground, and then get a new one. I traded a refrigerator for this one with my brother-in-law, so I didn’t really buy this one either. Anyway, it is a 100CC engine, so I can pass and dodge cars on most roads. I am pleased with it and will continue to ride it until it breaks. My scooter!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
koreaspondent.blogspot.com/