koreaspondent

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

What's the price of an Ex-Pat at Hyundai? $30,000

If this is true Hyundai is filled with even more dumb-asses than I imagined (I think it's pretty clear their CEO is already one, with his 3-year jail sentence pending). I would particularly like to draw your attention to this: "the pay would be the same as that offered to Korean employees." I'm sorry, but no expat is ever, ever, ever going to work at Hyundai for anywhere near what they pay to their Korean employees. I applied for a job for "Top Level Overseas MBA Holders" last summer, and passed the interviews, thus I was offered a job. Wanna know how much? They offered me 30 million won, with a promise that I would likely get 10 million won as a bonus. Not only was that lower than current salary, but they would not offer housing support, home-leave benefits (airplanes), or ship my stuff to and from the U.S., all very minimal requirements for expats. I was afraid to ask about other benefits like supporting education for my children at a Foreign School. Well, needless to say I do not work for Hyundai. I would like to see which expats these asses think they can get for that amount of money. I think 정몽구 (the CEO) needs a swift kick in the butt, or at least the HR director there.

1 Comments:

  • First time I read that news, I had the same thought as you. But then on a closer reading, it doesn't say they're seeking Americans or Western folk, just those who speak English. Now they may be able to get someone from relatively poor countries in Southeast Asia who speak English well enough and think that Korean salary levels are acceptable. This is probably their target because, like you said, there ain't no 'merican that desperate.

    By Blogger taemin, at 12:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
koreaspondent.blogspot.com/